How to Draw Realistic People
Arguably people are the most difficult subject to draw realistically. Drawing realistic people is an extremely difficult job and one that needs time with a lot of practices to be good at. When it comes to drawing people, just draw. It’s not really about techniques of how to draw realistic people but rather establishing and developing your own way, own style to draw realistic people. But of course, there are some techniques, tips or guidelines about how to draw realistic people which will make your task easier and more perfect.
Now let’s go to the main part of drawing realistic people. Before starting to draw one thing you should remember that, drawing realistic people takes additional time, more sensitivity. It charges good hands-eye coordination. But you can be assured that, the end result really worth it. So, you want to draw people realistically, right? Then, be ready with your pencil (or other drawing tools) and let’s start.
1. Observe the people around you very carefully. If you want to be an artist then you have to think like an artist, watch like an artist. Carefully examine the proportions of the human body (notice that, male and female slightly differs in this case). Examine the length of the arms, the width of the back etc.
2. How to Draw Realistic People: Grab your sketch pad and pencil. Start with the head and work your way down by drawing the lower part of the body. Draw realistic people while looking at real people. You can request family members to draw them. This may be your girlfriend or boyfriend. You can also watch a movie on a DVD player, pausing the playback when you find a person in your desired action.
3. You are your worst critic, don’t get too rough on your own work because of your mistakes. Remember, all the big artists also have made mistakes at their beginning. Mistakes make an artist perfect. Trust me!
4. For ensuring correct proportions and measurements of human body a good accepted standard for depicting the adult body, remember the entire body is about seven heads tall. The measure of a person’s head from very top, the crown, to the chin provides good proportions of his body. His/her body is about seven times the length from head to chin.
5. It will be great if you can memorize the proportions of human body in different actions. Remember proportions are the key factors of ‘How to draw realistic people‘. Some techniques which you should follow are the elbow and the belly button should be in line, the fingertips should end in the middle of the thigh and other proportions like this.
6. Happy drawing!
These are some essential techniques on ‘how to draw realistic people’. You can also take some life drawing classes on ‘how to draw realistic people’. If that’s not an option for you then I would recommend buying a book or two on illustrating people.